Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Pineapple Grenade Drink

[Bomba Energy Drink]
The energy drink Bomba, which is sold in a bottle ressembling a pineapple grenade have come under criticism from the Danish Army Demolition and explosive ordonance expert, major Poul Nedergård. He is afraid that the bottle will be used in demonstration and street fights and that it could be mistaken as a real grenade.

The manufacturer have been surprised by the criticism, as they have sold the drink for more than a year now without prior complaints, and the bottle is sold in 18 other European countries as well as USA, Canada and several Latin American countries without problems. The bottle also won the British 'Shine Award 2001'.

Now I'll admit that there is a slim chance that somebody would mistake the bottle for a real grenade in the midst of a heated street fight or riot, particularly at night or in otherwise dense fog... But in the heat of such a battle, I doubt that anybody is taking a real close look at what is being thrown at them, but tries to duck and generally avoid being hit. And wouldn't really notice whether the bottle thrown at them is from a Bomba drink, a Coca-Cola bottle or a Jack Daniels bottle...

So I wonder what all the fuss is about or whether it was just a case of the major wanting his 15 minutes of fame... Though I like the design of the bottle as well and might just have to get a bomba to see how well they taste

2 Comments:

Blogger Mikael said...

A lot of Danes have done military service. Any police officer have.
I myself was seven years in the army, including some time abroad.
Trust me, if I saw something shaped like that hurled at me out of the corner of my eye, my balls would retract into my ribcage!

26 July, 2006 20:14  
Blogger Zonka said...

By unfortunately not having served in the military I have to defer to those who have, I was only going by personal experience that I would probable not notice what a flying object was looking like but instinctively would try to dodge out of the way... but point well taken.

05 August, 2006 23:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home